- Irritable Bowel Syndrome with extreme food allergies and sensitivities to pretty much everything I eat. I know that sounds extreme, but even the "healthiest" of foods set me back days. Salads, vegetables, soups, smoothies, and even green tea would put me down with cramps, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, and shooting debilitating pains that ranged from the top of my GI tract all the way down, through, and out.
- Dermatitis/Eczema I have always had sensitive skin, but in 2013 I developed a condition called Perioral Dermatitis where rashes around the nasolabial folds of the nose and down the outsides of the mouth and chin are infected with what would look like acne, but it doesn't go away after treating it like acne. I also developed it around my left eye which is actually called periocular dermatits. It was debilitating. Painful, raw, angry red, and the most persistent thing I have ever had to deal with. I blame my gut on that one. I have gone great lengths of time with no rashes at all, but when it does flare up usually due to dairy, gluten, alcohol, or histamines, it can take 4-6 weeks to clear it up.
- Leaky Gut Syndrome Don't be turned off by the term. We've all heard of it and it would be a miracle if there was someone who didn't have at least a small case of this. It's basically where you're intestinal lining becomes permeable to bacteria, fungus, undigested foods, and protein particles that cross the barrier and "leak" into the blood stream. HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!! When these foreign objects end up in the blood, your immune system sets of a series of reactions to fight the "foreign invader" by arming itself with antibodies to seek and destroy. Problem is that in its defense, it shoots of a grenade that attacks the invaders as well as healthy tissues like your thyroid, joints, skin, nervous system, and digestive tissues-- amongst others.
- Hashimoto's Thyroiditis As the name indicates, this is inflammation of the thyroid. Hashimoto's is simply the autoimmune side of it. It's also the most common form of hypothyroidism. But make no mistake, popularity has never really been a good thing...not in this case anyway. A whopping 90-97% of hypothyroidism is actually autoimmune. But most doctors do not test the antibodies for it and so I was walking around most of my life taking medication and never feeling better because I didn't know the proper way to heal. Hashimoto's is autoimmune and autoimmune comes from the gut and a compromised gut leads to autoimmunity and autoimmunity leads back to hashimoto's (or other inflammatory autoimmune conditions. IF YOUR MEDICATION ISN'T WORKING, YOU'RE NOT IMAGINING IT.
- Anxiety & Depression Duh....of course I was anxious and depressed. I felt like hell. And because of the thyroid, because of the gut issues and not absorbing nutrients, because of the pain I experienced daily, I was weak, exhausted, and anxious and depressed. I couldn't work. I couldn't focus. I couldn't run, workout, or even be social for a few hours with my friends without wanting to go home and sleep. I fought with my family, struggled to make it through my work days, and became obsessed with cures ...... cures that I tried and cures that failed me in the end.
With all of that in mind, it is now 100 percent my responsibility. I no longer turn to doctors or holistic health practitioners for labs and advice. I no longer will be experimenting with what veggies have goitrogens, phyti acid, lectins, and other antinutrients that prevent the gut lining from healing and nutrients from being absorbed. If I choke down another cup of medicinal tea, it'll be a day too soon. And if I have to listen to one more person tell me that I simply didn't do it right, well that'll be one less conversation that I ever have again. Never really being one to do things in a traditional and practical matter, I've decided that for 100 Days & 100 Nights I will be eliminating all vegetables.....and when I say all vegetables, I mean any and everything that comes from the plant kingdom. I am, in fact, going to be eating a carnivorous diet that is ridiculously high in protein and fats.
Why? Because it's the one thing that I have seen in the community that actually works. With all the cleansing and clean eating I have done, I feel like my system has been stripped of critical immunity to fight off infection, bacteria, and debilitating fatigue. I feel that with this ancestral and primal way of eating, loaded with the saturated fats that feed the organs, tissues, cells, and body systems, that I will, over the course of time, day by day, offer by body the opportunity to strengthen itself. Because without a strong body, we deteriorate. And I've spent enough time in my life trying to cover up the damage.
If you are suffering from an autoimmune condition, and you know you are when mainstream treatments don't heal you up rather expeditiously, then you need to consider what you're doing. I'm in no way suggesting that others do this. What I'm suggesting is that you look deep within and ask yourself if you're sick and tired of being sick and tired. If so, try something radical for 30 days. Go against the grain, literally.
This is something that I have wanted to try for a long time, but was literally scared to. Having run out of options and having come across the website of Mikhaila Peterson mikhailapeterson.com/ , I am convinced that not only am I allergic to most things that I eat, but that by avoiding that which I'm allergic to, I will be long on my way to healing my gut, healing my immune system, and finding my way back to health.