Truth is that no matter how healthy I eat when I eat out, my digestive system always seems to take a huge hit the next day. I'm not sure if it's simply something that they slip into the meal or if it's just my mind that allows my body to take the hit, but something gets affected the next day and it's usually my gut. So for that reason alone, I just don't do it very often. It's more important for me to feel good in my body all the time than it is for me to suffer the consequences of eating out. For those of us with IBS, I know you feel me.
When trying to correct an imbalance in your body, there is truly NO room, not just little room, but no room for compromise. Your body is out of balance because of constant day to to little compromises that wound up creating an enormous impact on your health, digestion, and immune system. So it actually is the little things from day to day that got you where you are now. But if you find yourself in a space of wanting or needing a meal out, make the best of the best choices.
- Pick restaurants that serve high quality foods for one thing. You're not going to do well at a fast food drive through. So just scratch that off your list
- Find restaurants that offer up a menu that suits your specific dietary needs whether that be vegetarian, paleo, keto, high carb, whatever it is that you are eating, make sure that you can continue with your healthy eating while out and about.
- Ask, and this is big for me, the server what kind of oils your foods are prepared in. I never thought about this until I started back on the keto eating. But your meal can set you up for major inflammation if prepared in cheap junk oils (soy, canola, and low quality vegetable oils)
- Don't eat appetizers or bread......have a salad to start your meal.
- Order something that you would make at home. This is more for people who have digestive issues because all it takes is one meal out to set you back for SEVERAL DAYS......I always stick with a fish and veggie dish and a salad.....and even that can be an issue for me.
- Don't order dessert.....for obvious reasons. Refined sugar is the stager for inflammation and digestive reactions. Don't go there.
- Eat simply. I know it's such a drag. You've been good and you want a treat. But isn't treating your body properly and feeling good the goal?
Last night we had a birthday celebration in our family and decided to have dinner out at King's Fish House in Mission Valley. I already knew before I went out what I was going to order. I do like to keep my meals simple. I do the best I can because I know that it's not a reality that I will always be able to eat every meal at home.....and that also interferes with my social life as well. It's healthy to be with others and celebrate. But you don't have to derail all your efforts. So next weekend, when you go out, think about how you want to feel after the meal and in the days to come. Do you want to have to start all over come Monday Morning?